[OTR-dev] Fwd: [guardian-alpha] Gibberbot 0.0.3 RC 3 (201100304b)

Nathan of Guardian nathan at guardianproject.info
Fri Mar 4 14:18:36 EST 2011

Hey everyone,

The Guardian Project is looking both for end-user feedback, as well, as
technical review of our OTR implementation for Gibberbot, an open-source
XMPP messaging app for Android which aims to be as secure as possible by
default.

We are using the OTR4J project on Android:
http://code.google.com/p/otr4j/

You can find the custom bits of our implementation here:
https://github.com/guardianproject/Gibberbot/tree/master/src/info/guardianproject/otr

We've got some fun twists on things including support for QRCode
scanning as way to quickly verify keys in person (screenshots here:
https://guardianproject.info/apps/gibber/)

Currently, the keys and verified fingerprints are stored on the file
system via a Java Properties class. With Android, each app has its own
internal storage space protected by user permissions, and this gives us
some amount of security there. However, we are moving the entire app to
sit on top of a symmetric key encrypted SQLite database shortly.

Best,
 Nathan