[OTR-dev] gauging the ressurection of otrproxy

Nelson B Bolyard nelson at bolyard.me
Mon Jan 10 03:11:48 EST 2011

Hello:
I'm trying to gauge the work to get otrproxy to build again and then
update it to work with AOL's AIM7 client.  Although the sources in the
otrproxy 0.3.1 source tarball are over 5 years old now, I'm hoping there
are people here who can and will answer some questions about them.

1. Does anyone still have a snapshot of the complete source tree from
which the current windows binary distribution of otr-proxy was built?
If so, would you be willing to make that available to me?

2. Am I right that this code was never built on Windows, but only cross-
compiled on Linux using mingw?  Would changing this to build natively
on windows (with gmake and free msvc) be unwelcome, even apostate?

3. According to the INSTALL file, the proxy wants some old versions of
some libraries, which (after some digging) are all still available.
But one wonders if there have been any vulnerabilities found and fixed
since those old versions were produced.  Does updating otrproxy to try
to use the latest "stable" versions of these libraries seem like a
worthy task?

    Library      Desired  Current
    Name         Version  Version
    libgpg-error  1.0      1.9
    libgcrypt     1.2.0    1.4.6
    libotr        2.0.1    3.2.0
    wxWidgets     2.5.x    2.8.11

4. Is there any repository of information about the changes to the AIM
client startup/login behavior in AIM7 from earlier versions?

--
/Nelson Bolyard