[OTR-dev] Introduction and Question

Peter Lawler otr.dev at bleeter.id.au
Sat Dec 17 22:49:51 EST 2011

Hi folks,
I'd like to introduce myself. My name's Peter Lawler. Pidgin users may
know of me from the Pidgin->Help->Developers->Retired Crazy Patch
Writers as "Peter 'Bleeter' Lawler". I have also known to occasionally
hack with the folks from Guifications.org, more specifically
contributing to their 'Purple Plugin Pack' (a pack of 15 or more plugins
of varying use and quality).

I've signed on to this list using my generic bleeter.id.au domain as an
anti-spam type 'feature', nothing personal I do this with practically
every public email list I'm on these days and it kind of works for me.
Mostly. Except when doing introductions as it makes it interesting in
signing emails using RFC4880. However, I assert my usual public email
fingerprint is 0xF83553FE85F88D84. Details are available from the usual
keyservers.

My interest in OTR and Twitter stemmed from a conversation I had on
Twitter with Jacob Appelbaum, where we discussed Pidgin Bug #11110,
'Pidgin appears to leak DNS for Jabber accounts'. Although that's
relevant to TOR (and I'm glad to say the bug was squashed as well as
some code revision elsewhere squashing another bug [13928]), it lead me
to be getting in the habit of using OTR more than I had previously.

Before getting down to the business of slumming it in some of the OTR
code (specifically, that covering Pidgin-OTR), I was wondering if
there's a public Source Code Revision system of OTR code that is
released on Cypherpunks? I usually prefer to be somewhat knowledgeable
about a code's history before deciding whether to report a bug or
request for enhancement. I've been over the site a few times and I still
can't see it. I read the FAQ and that didn't mention where the SCCS is,
nor why there is no SCCS for OTR. So here I am, asking.

(FWIW, I had wanted to look at getting the OTR going with finch, but
seems someone's beaten me too it. Thanks! :)

Any comments, suggestions, pointers etc. would be greatly appreciated,

Warm regards from a sunny Tasmania,

Pete.