[OTR-dev] Reccomended version of libgcrypt? Libotr status messages.

Jonathan Schleifer js-otrim at webkeks.org
Wed Jul 22 10:07:14 EDT 2009

Ian Goldberg <ian at cypherpunks.ca> wrote:

> Both of these issues relate to constant strings in libotr.  Those have
> been removed in the development version of the library (for exactly
> the reasons you identify), currently checked into CVS at
> sourceforge.  If you want to use the last release, editing the
> strings is probably the best you can do, or you can see if you can
> use the CVS version of the API.

Good to hear that - we might implement OTR again in Gajim if this is
really a clean design now.

One question though: Would it be possible to encrypt whole stanzas
maybe in a way that is still compatible with transports? For example
you encrypt the body in a way that is backwards-compatible and then you
encrypt additional tags that can be attached to a message (like
XHTML-IM) separately, which are then only handled if the client on the
other side is a Jabber client.

Btw, there is currently discussion about an end to end encryption on
the XMPP IETF list, maybe you could join it and OTR could be made more
XMPP-compatible :). Who knows, maybe it'll even get the official
solution for XMPP then ;).

--
Jonathan