[OTR-dev] Freeze, .NET, RPC, and other weirdness

chris.tuchs at hushmail.com chris.tuchs at hushmail.com
Fri Dec 18 13:21:20 EST 2009

That does seem to be the cause and the appropriate workaround.  I
call libgcrypt to get a 32 bits of random data at start up of the
application.  Now all the strange .dll action happens, along with a
freeze I assume, during start up.  I no longer get the freeze
during the normal operation of the application.

Two "oh-yeah"s.  1: Please change the name on the software page to
be just "Emerald Viewer - a Second Life Client"  The PR folks
decided a shorter name was better.  2:  I still have sitting around
as a patch the minor change I made to the fragmentation code to
support Second Life's surprising out of order delivery of IM.  The
format, syntax and semantics of the fragments remain the same, I
just changed the logic in the fragment reassembly to better handle
out of order delivery.  I would be happy to submit the patch, let
me know.

For a short while it looked like Linden Lab was going to try to ban
the use of OTR.  In the end they decided that there are valid use
cases for private messages, that they will look at doing something
similar.  So my battle for privacy in Second Life has moved on to
another area of their system.

Thanks for the quick response!

Chris