[OTR-dev] Pidgin plugin development and GUI look

hcat at gmx.net hcat at gmx.net
Tue May 27 13:09:25 EDT 2008

> You forgot to run "intltoolize --force --copy" before autoreconf.

Right. Thanks, works now.

I tested the pidgin plugin for a while, it seems to work well. I have however a few notes regarding the UI:

1.) Auth dialog: http://userp.uni-koblenz.de/~monreal/tmp/otr/otr-auth.png
A) The space seems to be one line to big.
B) The nested expanders look bad. IMHO one would be enough (showing 2 paragraphs of text) or even better: a help button which would open a help webpage.
C) Window title should be "Authenticate _B_uddy" (not _b_uddy) as per HIG
D) Why "other"? I don't see any other options, so just "Authentication Options" would be enough IMHO
E) The smiley is nice but it does not really serve a propose. Why not use the GTK stock icon gtk-dialog-authentication?

2.) Chat window: http://userp.uni-koblenz.de/~monreal/tmp/otr/otr-chat.png
A) The background of the user icon should be transparent, not white. It looks a bit broken this way.
B) Why is the chat partner's account listed here? Clicking it does nothing... IMHO this is confusing and should be removed... or does it serve a purpose I don't get ATM?
C) This seems to show the status again (duplication, as it is also shown in the menu header). Clicking it opens the webpage, I wonder if a "What is OTR?" or "What does this all mean?" menu entry would not be better.

Generally I like how the icon is integrated now, but I don't like the way the same menu opens when pressing "OTR" or the icon behind. It should be possible to combine both to only one menu (with text and icon). Perhaps also add the status as a text there? I have done a mockup for this: http://userp.uni-koblenz.de/~monreal/tmp/otr/otr-mock-1.png

Also, I have the feeling that having the OTR indicator closer to the text box would be better. The same menu could be integrated into the toolbar (as a 3rd option?): http://userp.uni-koblenz.de/~monreal/tmp/otr/otr-mock-2.png

Cheers,
-Michael