[OTR-dev] daemon-only?

John W Noerenberg II jwn2 at ucsd.edu
Tue Mar 4 13:54:01 EST 2008

At 10:22 AM -0800 3/4/08, Len Sassaman wrote:
>The first few versions of OTR-proxy were commandline-only. I actually
>liked that better than this one -- very few people verify keys anyway, and
>for warnings, you could always insert the warning message into the IM
>itself as OTR does already.
>
>(As for the UI sucking, I agree. I've had on my todo list a native Cocoa
>app built with Interface Builder for the Mac, and something better then
>wxWidgets for everything else, but, I'm busy.

I have a similar problem. :-)

>However, I can give pointers from feedback from the HCI group here
>if anyone else wants to take this on.)

Marshall Clow and I have compiled a list of things we'd like to
change, but any feedback you want to send our way would be useful.

The general plan is to create a daemon controlled by user preferences
that would be managed separately.  Ideally the daemon could handle
more IM services than just AIM - but there are well known obstacles
here. :-)

>The best fix would be to make OTR-proxy unnecessary, though. Lobbying the
>chat client authors to include native OTR support as Adium as done would
>be good.

Since the protocol is essentially the same regardless of the IM
service, I'd hate to see clients for each service have to implement
the protocol.  That feels like unnecessary duplication to me.

>(Which unfortunately still leaves a need for a good OTR-proxy.
>I'll try to make that a higher priority.)

Same here.
--

john noerenberg