[OTR-dev] session termination

Scott Ellis mail at scottellis.com.au
Tue May 29 20:16:59 EDT 2007

i think the part you don't understand may be just timing - see below

>> If you really don't like this new behaviour, I suggest at least:
>> New behaviour B:
>> - Alice's OTR plugin displays her a warning: "Your communication partner
>> went offline and will likely be unable to read any further OTR-encrypted
>> messages. To terminate the OTR session right-click the OTR button and
>> select "end session"".
>>

> But that is simply not true. Most network outages that don't involve any
of
> the two partners to change/restart their IM client will keep working fine.

i don't' think the problems users are having are caused by network outages.
much more often they are caused by sending offline messages to people who
really have exited their IM client - it seems to be the 'long time offline'
issue you discovered above

from libotr:
/* How old are messages allowed to be in order to be candidates for
 * resending in response to a rekey? */
#define RESEND_INTERVAL 60

assuming that's seconds, the resend method is pretty useless in overcoming
the majority of cases where users go offline - e.g. twice a day i'm offline
when moving my laptop from work to home and visa versa

what about adding an option in gaim to terminate sessions when contacts go
offline?