[OTR-dev] Decrypting messages from an old OTR conversation

Evan Schoenberg evan.s at dreskin.net
Mon Feb 27 13:40:20 EST 2006

I have a user bugging me about this, and I'm not sure how to respond.

The problem: some services support serverside offline messaging.
Yahoo and ICQ, for example.  If Bob is in an encrypted conversation
with Alice, and Alice signs offline, the service still allows Bob to
message Alice, storing the (encrypted) message on the server for
delivery when Alice next signs online.  Bob knows that Alice has the
information for decrypting his message, since they've been
communicating previously...

So Alice signs on a day later... but she can't read the message,
since the conversation has since ended.  She receives:
The encrypted message received from Bob is unreadable, as you are not
currently communicating privately.

Any thoughts?

-Evan