[OTR-dev] Re: [Gaim-devel] gaim-OTR, AIM DirectIM, and messaging signals

Evan Schoenberg evan.s at dreskin.net
Sat Feb 25 18:28:59 EST 2006

On Feb 23, 2006, at 10:33 PM, Etan Reisner wrote:

> I only partly understand the issue here, and I have next to know
> undertanding of the underlying encryption stuff, but couldn't a
> prpl that needs to do this processing just use the same signals
> that the encryption plugins use? And use the signal priority stuff
> to ensure that they come first, to facilitate this we can change
> the handful of GAIM_PRIORITY defines to be an enum with default
> levels for PRPL/ENCRYPTION/etc. Would that not solve at least some
> of the problems? Or is there something I'm missing? Does the prpl
> processing do funny things to the message that the plugins would
> have to know about to deal with or something? Would the prpls need
> to keep track of messages between the signal and the normal
> mechanism somehow? (Would we need to start tagging messages with
> per-conversation ids to make this work more easily?)
>
> 	-Etan

So long as the message signal allows access to the GaimConversation
for the message (which it does IIRC), nothing needs to be added --
and I think this would work nicely, indeed, with the added bonus of
minimal new code needing to be written.

I just noticed that the 'sub away formatters' in AIM -- %n for name, %
d for date, etc. -- are also broken in OTR chats for the same reason;
gaim_str_sub_away_formatters() should be done in such a signal
handler even outside of directIMs.

-Evan