[OTR-dev] Re: [Gaim-devel] gaim-OTR, AIM DirectIM, and messaging signals

Ethan Blanton eblanton at cs.ohiou.edu
Mon Feb 20 22:35:29 EST 2006

Ian Goldberg spake unto us the following wisdom:
> > Users of this mechanism need an
> > SSL cert... savvy users can generate their own and self-sign them or
> > pay to have them signed, and AOL offers verisign-signed certificates
> > for a key.  I have no idea what the registration / verification
> > mechanism is for the latter process.
>
> So there's no binding whatsoever between the cert and the screen name?
> In what sense is it a cert, then?

Ideally the provided-by-AOL certifications would certify something
about the identity of the owner; given their staunch position on not
identifying the owners of screen names, this may not be the case.

> And the wiki page would seem to suggest that self-signed certs work just
> fine.  So why would aimencrypt.com offer a constant cert to everyone
> when they could just offer a little widget to generate a fresh
> self-signed one?

Not that this would provide a whole lot more (effective) security ...
because they could just keep and distribute copies of the private
keys.  ;-)

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.