[OTR-dev] Re: Libgcrypt slowness in generation of keys

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Wed Apr 19 22:11:29 EDT 2006

On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 08:49:32PM -0500, Twan Fox wrote:
> All,
>
> I might've been slightly hasty in my prior posting. Seems a full clean
> and rebuild of my plugin brought the time down to something more
> reasonable (sub-60 seconds or so), though part of me is a little
> bothered still by the way it the program was made unresponsive during
> the entropy gathering phase of the key generation.

If your UI thread is the one doing the key generation, then it will
naturally make the app unresponsive.  Just do appropriate locking in a
separate thread.

But 60 seconds still seems crazy.  What happens if you just make a
trivially small app that just calls otrl_privkey_generate with
appropriate arguments?  Can you track down what's causing the problem?