[OTR-dev] UI/protocol bug report: timeout of KEX

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Fri Sep 9 14:54:30 EDT 2005

On jabber with gaim and gaim-otr, I have someone marked as 'OTR
required'.  I typed to them, go the policy violation popup, and
expected KEX to suceed and rexmit.  The KEX timed out because the
other person's gaim-otr was missing libotr (known netbsd pkgsrc issue,
on my to-fix list).  I got no notification that this failed, and
didn't notice until much later.

I'd like to see a "Key Exchange failed" popup after some time (10s or
so) for key exchanges forced by policy or by manual request (other
than opportunistic).

At the same time, I'd like to see the policy violation popup removed
when either the key exchange failed or succeeded popup happens,
perhaps noting that the reason for start was policy.   From an IPsec
viewpoint, hitting a policy, doing key exchange and sending isn't an
error.  So perhaps there could just be a "[OTR required - beginning
Key Exchange]" inserted in the window, followed by the report.  I
don't like popups in general since I have to touch the mouse to
dismiss them if I end up with more than one.

Another nit: gaim-otr popups seem not to be dismissable with the
return key.

Finally, I don't mean to sound cranky - I use otr daily with 3 people,
and occasionally with more, and am quite used to it by now.