[OTR-dev] how to play nice with gaim-otr

David Everly deckrider at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 16:45:15 EDT 2005

On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 01:53:10PM -0400, Ian Goldberg wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 11:15:13AM -0600, David Everly wrote:
> > Any ideas regarding how I should alter this plugin to make it work with
> > gaim-otr?
>
> What problems are you seeing now?  gaim unfortunately has only a basic
> architecture for plugins to intercept messages; there's no way (that I
> know of) to specify the *order* the plugins are called, so it's hard to
> predict whether your plugin will be called before or after gaim-otr.

Thanks for responding.  While trying document for you the exact problems
I was seeing, it helped me find and fix a bug in my plugin!

> Also, IIRC, when plugins send messages via the serv_send_im() interface,
> they don't go through the plugin chain at all, so the "question" message
> your plugin sends will have no opportunity to get encrypted by gaim-otr
> (if you use that interface).

Yes, its the serv_send_im() that is problematic, as it causes error
messages on both sides indicating that it should have been encrypted but
was not.  Otherwise it works fine (after fixing my bugs).

Perhaps you have a suggestion for an alternative?

--
Encrypted Mail Preferred:
    Key ID:  8527B9AF

ASCII ribbon campaign: