[OTR-dev] OTR encryption state

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Thu Jan 27 17:28:32 EST 2005

On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 03:31:48PM -0600, Evan Schoenberg wrote:
> I wrote:
>
> >> NEVER:  Pretend OTR isn't enabled at all for this user
> >In what context would this be useful?
>
> Saw your reply to verbal.  That makes sense, and updates my previously
> proposed options to:
>
> [ ] Enable encrypted messaging (Default: YES.  Equivalent: NONE vs.
> MANUAL)
> 	[ ] Automatically initiate encrypted OTR messaging	(Default:
> 	???. See below.  Equivalent: OPPORTUNISTIC vs MANUAL)
> 		[ ] Refuse unencrypted messages	(Default: NO. Equivalent:
> 		AUTOMATIC vs. OPPORTUNISTIC)
>
> I am unsure of the second default because I don't understand the
> 'whitespace' thing yet.

I think it should be YES.  That makes the current behaviour the default.

So if the answers to those questions are (in order):

N--  ->   NEVER   (if the first is N, the other two are greyed out)
YN-  ->   MANUAL  (if the first two are YN, the third is greyed out)
YYN  ->   OPPORTUNISTIC (the default)
YYY  ->   ALWAYS

That seems sensible to me.  For bonus points, it should be configurable
both globally, and on a per-contact basis.  ;-)