[OTR-dev] Secure connections through a connect/disconnect cycle, OTR error messages

Evan Schoenberg evan.s at dreskin.net
Thu Jan 27 16:28:03 EST 2005

On Jan 27, 2005, at 3:15 PM, Ian Goldberg wrote:

> But I still think the client should send that message, not libotr.  You
> *don't* want the library to have to guess whether people you've got a
> context with are actually still online, since having the library send a
> message to an offline person causes no end of trouble.
>
>    - Ian

Except then it has to show up as a message from the person.  If I click
a button, my IM client should NEVER send text to the person with whom
I'm chatting which looks as if I have typed it.  I want it to be able
to show up inline but like other status changes/conversation
errors/conversation updates/etc.

Didn't you say in another thread that there should be no automatic
disconnection of the ConnContext when signing off?  So the notification
wouldn't go out when the person signs off.

And on another tack: Does the heartbeat present the same problem?

-Evan