[OTR-dev] Secure connections through a connect/disconnect cycle, OTR error messages

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Thu Jan 27 15:35:44 EST 2005

On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 07:55:41PM +0100, Paul Wouters wrote:
> Ah.. Then I'd definately like some sort of authenticated Notify/Delete
> message.  It would prevent a lot of misencrypted messages. The remote
> end should do something noticable ofcourse, showing the encrypted
> state was lost.

As I mentioned earlier, I really don't think the client should *ever* drop
the private connection because of a network event.  It's OK if the user
gets informed that the person he was talking to dropped his connection
(so long as that message goes over the private channel before it's
dropped), but the user should then turn off his side manually.

> Hmm, so thinking about this, perhaps the current
> resend-if-not-readable is better from the UI point of view, even if
> not as clean from a protocol point of view.

It also has the benefit of working now.  ;-)