[OTR-dev] Secure connections through a connect/disconnect cycle, OTR error messages

Evan Schoenberg evan.s at dreskin.net
Wed Jan 26 11:30:53 EST 2005

I agree 100%.  It would be disastrous for a client to bring you from
encrypted to unencrypted automatically.

I was just wondering if a message... which protocol specs say no client
should act on besides to present the information to the other side...
could be sent, such that if my friend clicks "end encrypted chat" I
immediately see an OTR message in my chat informing me that the remote
side has requested to end the OTR chat.  No action is taken, but I am
informed so I can either stop chatting with the person (since they
won't see my messages) or cancel encryption myself (at which point we
will be able to chat in plaintext) or contact my friend in some other
manner to ask him to turn encryption back on.

-Evan