[OTR-dev] Displaying OTR errors (was Re: Hmmm.)

Evan Schoenberg evan.s at dreskin.net
Wed Jan 26 00:47:16 EST 2005

On Jan 25, 2005, at 5:02 PM, Ian Goldberg wrote:
>  I could also wait a little bit and see if Evan or the proxy work
> shows up any other changes that can be put
> into 2.0.0 at the same time.

At present, libotr sends errors back to the UI via the inject_message
callback.  This gets the job done, but it's somewhat dirty... the other
side didn't actually send the message.
a) This means that the client doesn't have any way of presenting the
error condition in a manner different from a normal message (gaim-otr
would use gaim_conv_present_error() for example)
b) This also means that a malicious or confusing user could masquerade
as OTR errors by simply sending the text of an OTR error, since it
appears the same way.

I propose a new callback, inject_error.  Thoughts?

-Evan