[OTR-dev] Secure connections through a connect/disconnect cycle, OTR error messages

Evan Schoenberg evan.s at dreskin.net
Wed Jan 26 00:26:28 EST 2005

Two situations, and associated questions:

1)
- My friend and I are chatting via OTR
- I disconnect. I reconnect (same application session).  We can
continue chatting as before.
- I disconnect and quit.
- I relaunch the application and connect.  I open a message window to
my friend and send him a normal (unencrypted) message, not realizing he
has remained connected and not hit stopped the OTR session.
- I receive:  ?OTR Error: You sent unencrypted data to <name>, who was
expecting encrypted messages from you.

Question: Should a client disconnect all OTR sessions on an account
when that account disconnects? And from my friend's perspective, should
a client disconnect an OTR session when the target contact disconnects?

2)
- My friend decides to cancel the OTR session without telling me.
- I send a message
- I receive: ?OTR Error: You sent encrypted data to <name>, who wasn't
expecting it.

Question: Is there a way in which the protocol could be expended to
send some sort of otr-specific message to the other side letting it
know that one person has asked to end the session?

-Evan
www.adiumx.com