[OTR-dev] SESS_DIR_LOW vs SESS_DIR_HIGH?

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Tue Jan 25 19:46:24 EST 2005

On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 05:01:43PM -0600, Evan Schoenberg wrote:
> Ah, I see.  If I'm putting it somewhere in plain (unformatted) text,
> what do you think would be a good label for each part, then?  Right now
> I have whichever one would be bold in gaim-otr being labeled the
> "incoming" secure ID, and the other the "outgoing."

The "printf UI" version of otrproxy surrounds the part that should be
bold with asterisks:

*** Tue Jan 25 11:09:26 2005
*** INFO: Private connection established
Private connection with mumblemumble (AIM/ICQ) established.
Fingerprint:
    36D65628 A56C5E5C 376F1E88 BA2EFC04 BF07DBA9
Secure ID for this session:
    *aa687ac829b0367854f6* 0333b95bf0e1726c49c7

> >gaim-otr's README says:
> >    If they're
> >    both correct, you're assured that there's no one intercepting your
> >    private conversation.  This is secure, even if you know that one or
> >    both of your private keys have been compromised.
> >

> Damnit, read the README and forgot that part.  I hate asking questions
> which are already answered :)
>
> How is it that this is secure even if one or both private keys are
> compromised?

The private keys are used to sign the DH key exchange; that's the
primary way you know the person at the other end of the DH-secured
tunnel is who you think it is.  But if the DH keys have been
compromised, hearing your friend read the secure session id (which is a
hash of the DH shared secret) will do just as well to convince you.