[OTR-dev] Re: [OTR-announce] gaim-otr 2.0.1 is up (BUT DOESN'T DO AUTOCONF!!)

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Sun Feb 27 14:43:14 EST 2005

On Sat, Feb 26, 2005 at 04:18:43PM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
> A) gaim-otr 2.0.1 does not use autoconf, and the makefile is
> awkward on systems that don't use the same paths as Linux.  Further,
> gmake under NetBSD seems to fail to interpret the backticked
> pkg-config.  So it was hard to make a pkgsrc entry for this.

As you suspected, the block here was that mingwification was non-trivial
(unlike for libotr).  What we need is a configure.ac macro for gaim
which (a) checks that the API version of gaim is compatible with what
we're expecting, and (b) sets GAIM_PLUGIN_LIBS (or something like that)
to the libraries you need to use to create a (gtk) gaim plugin.  On
Linux, that's "".  On mingw, that's "-lgtk-win32-2.0-0 -latk-1.0-0
-lpango-1.0-0 -lglib-2.0-0 -lgdk-win32-2.0-0 -lgobject-2.0-0 -lgaim".
[Perhaps separate variables for gtk and for ui-agnostic gaim would be
better.]  What's going on is that .so files on Linux can resolve symbols
using the program it's linked into; .dll files on Win32 have to be
completely resolved themselves.

> B) The .la file was not installed, whereas all the native plugins
> install them.

?? Where do they install them?  They're not in /usr/lib/gaim on my
system.

> D) Several files required by automake are missing.
>
> E) Changelog is misnamed, relative to what automake and emacs'
> add-changelog-entry expect.

These two of course would be fixed with autoconfiscation, just as they
were with libotr and otrproxy.

I'd *love* for gaim-otr to be autoconfiscated.  If you can supply a
macro for gaim which does the above, it'll certainly go in for the next
version.