[OTR-dev] Flaw in OTR Protocol (with workaround!)

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Thu Aug 4 13:00:59 EDT 2005

On Thu, Aug 04, 2005 at 10:29:45AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> After playing with this, and reading the code, I find that it's pretty
> close to what I want.  I'd like to see:
>
>   ability to end private sessions from chat window (right-click on
>   otr: and get menu of options such as refresh, end, show hash, otr
>   options dialog?)  opening up global prefs, choosing otr, etc. is too
>   hard.

As I mentioned, that's already in CVS.

>   Ability to automatically end private sessions (for only online
>   buddies, or perhaps all?) on client exit.  Easy UI operation to end
>   all private conversations.  I think this is just invoking the
>   existing functionality on the exiting side.

I just checked, and gaim does indeed notify plugins just before it's
going to quit.  So this seems at least plausible.  Note that the
plugins have to react immediately, since in a moment gaim will be
exiting.  So if, for example, your AIM connection is currently
throttled, queueing the disconnect message for later delivery won't
work.

>   Indication that state is private/broken on receiving side.  It seems
>   to be in this state, as sending gets me a popup that I have to end
>   or refresh.  Perhaps 'OTR: Private/x' would do.

Possible, though this has changed a bit in CVS, so we'll need to think
about this a little more.