[OTR-dev] initial otr usability comments

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Wed Dec 22 11:05:39 EST 2004

  While I agree with jbash on this one, I'm not sure what else the proxy
  can do to give you the "OTR: Private" marker.  If we just insert an
  indicator message that it's on, then not only do we have to deal with
  the possibility that it can be faked, but it'll scroll off the screen.

This points out that the gaim plug-in interface should have a way to
insert text that can only be generated locally, vs. over-the-net.
This is probably too hard to get right, but already the screen name
and local timestamp should have this property.

Sure, this should of course be optional.

  Any suggestions?

Perhaps having the 'OTR: not private' be a bit louder (bold?) in the
case where we do have a fingerprint on record would help.  This
wouldn't identify the state of past messages, but that's less
important.