[OTR-dev] Going forward

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Fri Dec 17 14:18:36 EST 2004

Welcome to all the new list members!

Here's a little braindump of what I'd like to happen going forward:

One of the really big things is that we need to get OTR working on other
platforms.  Paul's working on a Windows gaim port, but getting it to
work on Trillian and iChat is crucial.  Unfortunately, neither of those
platforms seem to support plugins that can _modify_ (e.g.
encrypt/decrypt) messages.

So what to do?

I think the easiest thing would be to use a little (hopefully mostly
portable across *nix, Windows, OSX) AIM proxy that does the OTR.

Upsides: portable; quickly get something working on Windows, OSX, and
non-gaim *nix clients

Downsides: it'd only work for the AIM protocol (we'd need separate
proxies for different protocols); the "You are Private" UI wouldn't be
able to be as nicely integrated into the conversation window as it is
with gaim; configuring your existing client to use the proxy is
user-unfriendly (install wizards for popular clients?)

For a start, we might look at the code at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/exclaim/.  I don't know how complete it
is, but it claims to be an AIM proxy, written with the goal of letting
plugins play with the data stream.

For the UI, we should probably use some cross-platform GUI toolkit.

I'd like someone to step up and claim the lead on this project;
preferably someone who can test on both iChat and Trillian (other Linux
clients would be a bonus).

Any takers?

[PS: what do people think about putting OTR up on sourceforge?  Is there
another site that's better?]

Thanks,