[OTR-announce] pidgin-otr 4.0.0-1 for Windows available

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Sun Sep 9 16:40:28 EDT 2012

Daniel Atallah noted that Data Execution Prevention (DEP) and Address
Space Layout Randomization (ASLR) were not enabled in the Windows
release of pidgin-otr 4.0.0-0. We have corrected the oversight, and
4.0.0-1 is now available.

DEP and ASLR offer additional protection to programs in the event that
they already have a security flaw that allows an attacker to take
control of a program. They aim to limit the attacker to crashing your
program, rather than being able to do anything more nefarious. We of
course hope there is no such existing flaw in pidgin-otr, but better
safe than sorry. :-)

http://otr.cypherpunks.ca/binaries/windows/pidgin-otr-4.0.0-1.exe
http://otr.cypherpunks.ca/binaries/windows/pidgin-otr-4.0.0-1.exe.asc

   - Ian