[OTR-announce] 1.0.1 online

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Tue Dec 14 17:42:31 EST 2004

Changes suggested by Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com>:

- Added a more sensible error message in the event that we receive our
  own OTR Key Exchange messages.  This means either we're talking to
  ourselves, or someone is reflecting our messages back to us.

- This should be considered an experimental feature: If we're about to
  send a plaintext message to a correspondent for whom we've got a
  fingerprint, append a special (whitespace) OTR tag sequence.  The
  other side (if in fact running OTR) will recognize it and start a Key
  Exchange.  But if he replies without starting a Key Exchange, stop
  appending the whitespace.

  That first message will still go in the clear, of course, and this
  will only work if both ends support it (i.e. upgrade to this version)

http://www.cypherpunks.ca/otr/ for the source, deb, or rpm versions.

Particularly, I'd like to know what you think of the whitespace thing.

   - Ian