[OTR-users] Does OTR cache authentication questions?

Lachezar Dobrev l.dobrev at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 09:24:20 EDT 2013

  GTalk/Hangouts has made a dubious change, where even if you log-out
you're still on-line with a MessagingA×××× resource (permanent
Non-Available state), and messages sent to that user may be received
by Google's servers when the user is not connected, supposedly for
delivery when the user reconnects.

  I have had several cases where I would chat with a peer of mine, and
out-of-the-blue he would receive a message I sent to him a few days
back when he was off-line.

  Occasionally my peers complain about not being able to read OTR
messages, because there is no active OTR session, but the OTR messages
are received very late. Th eproblem is even more confusing if we have
re-established a new OTR session, and start receiving OTR messages
from a previous session.

  To avoid the confusion I explicitly check the XMPP Resource of the
peer before writing to him. This is not easily achieved with peers
that have unstable Internet connection.

  I'm risking banishment, but I'd avoid Google Talk/Hangouts.