[OTR-users] Does OTR cache authentication questions?

Pete Stephenson pete at heypete.com
Tue Sep 10 07:24:08 EDT 2013

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 12:54 PM, Lachezar Dobrev <l.dobrev at gmail.com> wrote:
>   Are you by any chance using Google Talk (now Hangouts)?

Indeed I am. We're both using Google Talk and XMPP.

I apologize for not mentioning that earlier.

>   AFAIK OTR uses the IM's communication channel to send and receive
> peer authentication in specially formatted messages.
>   With the recent changes in Google Talk I've had numerous occasions
> where messages I sent to my contacts got stalled, and not resent until
> my peers started using different client/device, sometimes with a week
> of delay. That might be an underlying cause of your problem.

Interesting. That sounds precisely like what's going on. It sounds
like this is an issue with Google Talk and not OTR. My apologies for
the noise.

Do OTR messages include a timestamp? I was thinking that it might be
good for OTR to silently drop authentication requests that arrive
after a sufficiently-long delay (e.g. >1 week) rather than attempt to
interpret them.

Thanks for the prompt response.

--
Pete Stephenson