[OTR-users] otr support in gajim?

Jonathan Schleifer js-otrim at webkeks.org
Sun Oct 26 15:55:32 EDT 2008

ber61921076 <ber61921076 at yahoo.de> wrote:

> hello Guys,
>
> i thought that "gajim" have otr-support. but i cant
> find it, i have tried it with an installation on
> gentoo with the normal install mode & under ubuntu
> feisty, but there is no possibillitie.
>
> is there another version who is not included in this
> distributions who proviedes gajim?
>
> Greetings,
>
> Karl

OTR was removed from Gajim because we consider the current libotr API
unusably broken. It was not possible to have reliable message delivery
when libotr was used, it silently dropped messages etc. The current API
requires to pass every message to libotr, whether it's an OTR session
or not. We tried some workarounds, until we decided to drop OTR
support. We have GPG and ESessions anyway, so just try to convince your
chat partner of XMPP, then you can use those :).

We are currently hoping that libotr4 will fix
those issues and might reconsider to revive the OTR support then.

And there is a branch that still has OTR support (just Google for it) -
however, it is totally unsupport, don't expect any support from the
developers if it fails.

--
Jonathan