[OTR-users] Opinions on proposed "unknown fingerprint" behaviour?

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Tue May 31 08:58:57 EDT 2005

I like your behaviors for fingerprints, except I'd use "Accept" and
"Discard".

Obviously getting a new fingerprint for a name that already has a
fingerprint always generates a box, and doesn't do any auto-accept,
but I had to say it.

[while we are talking UI]

I don't use the refresh button often, so having the OTR button pop up
a more complicated dialog box would be fine.  When I do use it, it's
because I suspect the other person has restarted their client, or
changed computers.  So, I'd like to see

  idle timer on keys, causing them to be marked stale, perhaps 30
  minutes default

  when sending with a stale key, send a ping message, recognizable as
  such to the counterparty even if not keyed, to trigger key exchange,
  and then send the message.

Right now this is my biggest usability issue.  New correspondents are
very rare compared to current ones switching among their multiple
computers.

Also, gaim/otr doesn't cope well with being logged in on multiple
computers at once.  I need to test and write up a real bug report...

--
        Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com>