[OTR-dev] Improved Deniable Signature Key Exchange for mpOTR

George Kadianakis desnacked at riseup.net
Sun Mar 17 20:29:27 EDT 2013

Forwarding Matthew's mail, since it didn't get posted in the list for some
reason (maybe he is not subscribed):

Subject: Re: [OTR-dev] Improved Deniable Signature Key Exchange for mpOTR
From:    "Matthew Van Gundy" <matt at singlethink.net>
Date:    Sat, March 16, 2013 12:40 pm
To:      "George Kadianakis" <desnacked at riseup.net>
Cc:      otr-dev at lists.cypherpunks.ca
         iang at cs.uwaterloo.ca

Hi George,

I don't have my full notes at my fingertips.  However, the choice of
Bohli et al.'s Deniable Group Key Agreement was motivated by its
properties: deniable / forgeable, group/conference key agreement, symmetry
(no
user is trusted more than others), mutual authentication.

One of the major sticking points was deniability / forgeability.  We
wanted a deniability / forgeability property that was stronger than
most existing notions in the following sense:

  * The forger need not be in the set of participants. A third party
    (A) can forge transcripts between a set of other participants
    P = { B, C, D, ... } (not including A) without knowing the private
    keys of the participants in the transcript.

  * The judge gets the private keys of all participants P.  Even then,
    the judge cannot distinguish between a forged transcript and a
    legitimate transcript between the participants P sending the same
    messages.

Without going into all the details of why I didn't feel that these met
the requirements, some of the references I was considering at the time
include:

  * SIGMA, SKEME, MQV, HMQV

  * Mario Di Raimondo, Rosario Gennaro, Hugo Krawczyk: Deniable
    authentication and key exchange. ACM Conference on Computer and
    Communications Security 2006: 400-409.

  * Dwork, Naor, Sahai. Deniable Authentication.

  * Deniable Encryption
    http://eprint.iacr.org/1996/002

  * Chameleon Signatures
    www.isoc.org/isoc/conferences/ndss/2000/proceedings/042.pdf
    http://eprint.iacr.org/2006/318

  * Deniable Ring Authentication
    www.wisdom.weizmann.ac.il/~naor/PAPERS/denring.pdf
    http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007%2F978-3-540-24852-1_11

  * Designated Verifier Proofs
    http://www.informatics.indiana.edu/markus/papers/dvp.pdf

  * Multi-designated Verifier Signatures
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0020019006003504
    http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpls/abs_all.jsp?arnumber=1524311&tag=1

  * Limited Verifier Signatures
    http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007%2F978-3-540-24852-1_10

  * Broadcast Interactive Zero-Knowledge Proofs
    http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007%2F3-540-46416-6_7?LI=true#page-1

  * Concurrent Zero-Knowledge Proofs
    http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.21.6818

Cheers,