[OTR-dev] Codec2 and OTR

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Fri Feb 15 18:47:29 EST 2013

Jurre van Bergen <drwhax at 2600nl.net> writes:

> OTR was never designed to be used as an encryption layer for digital
> audio/video or HAM radio. It's designed to be an encryption layer for
> instant messaging.

Agreed.

> This will not be possible unless you modify great deals, and most
> likely, you won't have much of the OTR properties.

I don't understand why you think this.  OTR has a sense of key exchange
and management, and then a way to encrypt/mac each message in an series
of (A->B B->A)* exchanges.  How does the fact that a message might be
bits (from a microphone, compressed through a codec) instead of a bunch
of text really change the nature of what's going on?