[OTR-dev] Adding SMP to Gibberbot/OTR4J

Paul Wouters paul at cypherpunks.ca
Mon Feb 27 17:38:45 EST 2012

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012, Nathan of Guardian wrote:

> Here is a related post, btw, on the work we are doing trying to create
> an OTR keystore converter. In short, people want to sync their Pidgin
> and Gibberbot keys, both private and verified public, and we are trying
> to figure out how to do that.
>
> https://guardianproject.info/2012/02/23/how-many-ways-to-store-5-numbers/

I am pondering writing an RFC for a new DNS RRTYPE to store OTR
fingerprints in DNS(SEC) where there is a similar issue.

Depending on the compatibility of the algorithms, one can use the DNSKEY
format, or the SubjectPublicKeyInfo format. Designing a new format
seems like a less good idea.

The DNSKEY one is simpler, but it is less flexible, for instance it has
only one type of RSA, whereas the SPKI can define the different kind of
RSA keys.

Paul