[OTR-dev] private messages on dbus

Byrd, Brendan Byrd.B at insightcom.com
Mon Feb 27 12:28:14 EST 2012

Wait, are we talking about the potential for an attacker to:

1. Load a Trojan/Virus on their PC that allows remote access
2. ...Who the $^#% cares at that point?!

Once security has been breached at point #1, it doesn't matter.  The PC is already impacted.  Re-format, restart, reload, and change all of your security information, passwords, keys, etc.

The private key is already vulnerable.  Hell, -memory- is already vulnerable.  Everything is in plaintext if you find the right memory location.  There's no way to fix that, especially if the attacker has admin/root access.  Everything is compromised.  There's no point in trying to lock down the app for that sort of critical security failure.

"The best way to protect a server is to unplug the network cable, put it in a lock box, throw away the key, and bury it.  Even then, there's still a small chance it might be compromised."

--
Brendan Byrd <byrd.b at insightcom.com>
System Integration Analyst (NOC Web Developer)