[OTR-dev] Pidgin-otr 3.2.1-2 (win32) - (Un)installer bug

Ariel Poliak ariel.p at hostdime.com
Thu Aug 16 17:59:20 EDT 2012

On 2012-08-16 08:28, Ian Goldberg wrote:
> I'll look into this on Monday when I get back from SAC.  But I have no
> way to test it.  Would you be willing to do some rounds of tests with
> me?
I have no problem assisting with testing.

To speed things along, I made a patch for the installer script that sets
defaults for the MessageBox calls throughout the script.
The single-choice MessageBox-es simply acknowledge the message.
The Multiple-choice MessageBox-es default to the following:
"Are you sure you want to completely remove $(^Name) and all of its
components?" -> YES
"pidgin-otr.dll is busy. Please close Pidgin (including tray icon) and
try again" -> CANCEL

The first default allows for silent removal by confirming the prompt on
the user's behalf.
The second default prevents a loop on silent update if the DLL is in use.

I have built the NSI file into an installer and did some preliminary
testing under the following scenarios (all on a clean VM with only
Pidgin installed):
Install the OTR plugin (normal mode)
Uninstall the OTR plugin (normal mode)
Install the OTR plugin (silent mode)
Uninstall the OTR plugin (silent mode)
Update the OTR plugin (normal mode)
Update the OTR plugin (silent mode)
Uninstall the OTR plugin while Pidgin is running (normal mode)
Uninstall the OTR plugin while Pidgin is running (silent mode)
Update the OTR plugin while Pidgin is running (normal mode)
Update the OTR plugin while Pidgin is running (silent mode mode)

I have also verified that the installer aborts properly if Pidgin is not
installed in both normal and silent modes.

My text editor converted a lot of spaces into tabs, so you may wish to
make sure that your patching utility ignores whitespace changes in the
context areas

Ariel Poliak
Network and Security Operations
Active Directory Administrator