[OTR-dev] otr in java

Dean Pierce pierce403 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 11:46:57 EDT 2009

My suggestion is to write an extension for spark.
http://www.igniterealtime.org/downloads/index.jsp

It's basically a graphical frontend of smack, which is an xmpp library.

The theory is that you could set up an openfire server at home, and
configure gateways to all major chat networks you participate in, then when
you are at a coffee shop, you communicate over an encrypted xmpp session.

Of course, at that point you can just use pidgin to connect to your home
xmpp server, but it would kind of be nice to be able to use a minimal xmpp
client (spark) for that sort of thing, and still get the end to end crypto
control that OTR provides.

A much simpler setup good for testing is just to use spark to connect to
google chat, then talk to someone who is using pidgin over google chat and
make sure everything is working right.  I would love to see a simple java
based xmpp client with good OTR support.

   - DEAN