[OTR-dev] OTR static strings and html stuff

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Tue May 6 17:46:10 EDT 2008

On Tue, May 06, 2008 at 06:44:11PM +0200, Kjell Braden wrote:
> Hi!
>
> As I'm currently actively working on getting OTR-encryption working for
> gajim (see [1]), I've stumbled upon some annoyances in current libotr.
>
> 1.) basically all strings used in OTR for user interfaces contain HTML.
> This is very bad because it breaks CLI clients or clients that don't
> send HTML over <body> tags in XMPP (*wink* pidgin-otr)
> 2.) none of those strings are translatable! IMHO libotr should not use
> human-readable text at all but pass error codes which should be
> translated to human-readable text by the implementing application. This
> would integrate with all localisation methods as well as gives
> HTML-enabled clients the possibility to use HTML.
>
> Thoughts?

You're absolutely correct, and it's on the to-do list.  I don't have a
body actually working on it, though.

The plan is to add a callback to the OtrlMessageAppOps which will take
a code (it's used for more than just errors) and some other useful
parameters, and it'll be up to the calling application to do something
human-reasonable with it.