[OTR-dev] OTR static strings and html stuff

Kjell Braden fnord at pentabarf.de
Tue May 6 12:44:11 EDT 2008

Hi!

As I'm currently actively working on getting OTR-encryption working for
gajim (see [1]), I've stumbled upon some annoyances in current libotr.

1.) basically all strings used in OTR for user interfaces contain HTML.
This is very bad because it breaks CLI clients or clients that don't
send HTML over <body> tags in XMPP (*wink* pidgin-otr)
2.) none of those strings are translatable! IMHO libotr should not use
human-readable text at all but pass error codes which should be
translated to human-readable text by the implementing application. This
would integrate with all localisation methods as well as gives
HTML-enabled clients the possibility to use HTML.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Kjell