[OTR-dev] Re: Requirements for libotr4

Jonathan Schleifer js-otrim at webkeks.org
Thu Jun 19 11:09:08 EDT 2008

Uli M <a.sporto+bee at gmail.com> wrote:

> 7. Maximum message size handshake. Currently, each end uses its own
> MMS. This is a bad thing if you use something like jabber transports
> because the jabber end will likely have a too large MMS for the other
> end (ICQ,...). For irssi-otr it's always a problem in conjunction with
> bitlbee since IRC has a limit of about 500 and the other end might be
> playing with 2k. The only reason why this currently works at all is
> because OTR messages (except the 'better' msg under 4.) start with
> "?OTR:" and end with "." so irssi-otr can reconstruct them for libotr.
> The solution is simple: Each end advertises its own MSS during the
> initial handshake and both use the minimum of the two.

This has one problem: What if two users chat via ICQ for example and
both use a Jabber transport? Both would announce that they don't need
fragmentation, but they do.
We would need some way to define what we support *PER CONTACT*. So the
client could for example limit it's own capability if it knows it's a
gateway contact and announce that it needs fragmentation.

--
Jonathan