[OTR-dev] messages.c -- messages on gui without translation support

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Wed Jun 11 16:24:07 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 01:13:20AM +0200, Őry Máté wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was testing my new gaim-otr translation, and found some interesting
> untranslated messages while chatting with Pidgin.
>
> I have grepped the gaim-otr source tree, but have not found the
> message. I checked out libotr, and all the untranslated messages were
> in messages.c -- as simple strings.
>
> What is the way of making these available for translation? Having some
> complicated wrapper on gaim-otr's side (I have no idea how could the
> messages get to the po template), or mark these for translation in
> messages.c. Would this cause any problems? (Could these messages ever
> be processed by computer?)

There are lots of problems with the hardcoded strings in message.c.
Elsewhere on this list, you'll find the discussion of what we're
planning to do about it (short answer: remove them from the library
completely, and return error codes to the calling application, which
will be responsible for them).

So the problem will be gone in 4.0.0, but for 3.2.0 I'm afraid there's
nothing that can be done.  :-(