[OTR-dev] daemon-only?

John W Noerenberg II jwn2 at ucsd.edu
Wed Feb 6 21:48:03 EST 2008

At 11:35 AM -0800 2/6/08, alex black wrote:
>is there a daemon-only version of otrproxy? I think it would be
>pretty easy to do this from the commandline, and then I wouldn't
>have to keep a window running all the time (which would reduce
>memory consumption..)
>
>any opinions?

You need some kind of UI in order to validate trust in newly acquired
keys, or to selectively enable OTR for users for whom you have keys.
However, I agree the current UI (on a Mac) leaves much to be desired.
:-)

As for memory consumption, a version of of OTR Proxy built with
wxWidgets 2.8.7 is using (at the moment) 8.96MB of real memory and
940.57 MB or virtual.  The amount of virtual memory surprised me, but
I haven't studied why.
--

john noerenberg