[OTR-dev] Lost OTR keys when upgrading from Gaim beta 5 to beta 6

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Tue Mar 6 08:43:59 EST 2007

On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 01:44:14AM -0500, Mark Doliner wrote:
> An Ubuntu user filed a bug[1] about some problems he encountered when
> upgrading from Gaim 2.0.0 beta 5 to Gaim 2.0.0 beta 6.  The problems are
> related to the split of prpl-oscar into prpl-aim and prpl-icq.
>
> "The most serious problem I encountered was the fact, that ALL my icq
> ("oscar") OTR-keys and fingerprints were no longer found by gaim until I
> manually renamed all references in the config."
>
> I'm not familiar with the OTR plugin and don't know how yous guys store OTR
> keys and fingerprints, but you might need to rename your settings if the user
> is running Gaim 2.0.0 beta 6 or higher.  If this has already been fixed, or is
> not a real problem then please ignore me.

We've heard this before, but I think it's not a real problem; it's a
one-time PITA for existing users, and putting in code to automatically
try to compensate is likely to introduce more bugs than it's worth.
Not only that, but the gaim2 beta series has proven to be a highly
moving target, and I'd prefer to see it settle down before dealing with
a minor issue involving a particular beta transition.