[otr-dev] Creating a libotr.so ...

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Sat Jun 9 10:56:02 EDT 2007

On Sat, 9 Jun 2007, Rüdiger Kuhlmann wrote:

> So can we please please make the library stop resending stuff and leave it
> up to the application?

Of course, to not break gaim-otr, the rewrite of gaim-otr/libotr has to
happen at the same time, or libotr needs a new version used for this.

> > > * It is impossible to signal back to the library that an injected
> > >   message could not be sent due to size constraints. Thus, the library
> > >   does not provide for outgoing fragmentation at all!
> > As Paul said, RSN.
>
> Well, I'm not using cvs - I can't expect people to have dev versions
> installed for dlopen to grab.

You as a developer can use CVS to look at the current fragmentation
support. You can make a developer release that uses it. Once things
become stable, you release.

> > Yes, see above.  For now, you'd probably just have to replicate the
> > functionality of the otrl_message_* routines if what those routines give
> > you as is isn't suitable.
>
> Actually I hoped libotr would be fixed so that I wouldn't have to
> duplicate work.

Do the work in libotr so you don't have to do duplicate work? :)

> I managed Kopete to display me an HTML message complaining about a
> plain text that visibly contained an OTR offer tag.

I was in the process of creating the kopete-otr package when the
whole Fedora 7 hit everyone. I'll try and pick it up when I'm at PET.

> I think that reading all list message before answering would have saved you
> the time to write this email... My overall complaint is that libotr is so
> Gaim-specific that it is not really a general purpose library.

Indeed, those problems should be addressed.

Paul