[OTR-dev] finished state and restart

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Thu Jan 25 09:54:49 EST 2007

I am glad that there is a 'finished' state; this seems good both from
a cleanliness view (avoids sending data that can't be read) and that
the last auth keys are disclosed (presumably).  But there's a UI
annoyance with gaim-otr that I'll describe and that I think might be
fixable.

I regularly talk to Bob, and have verified fingerprints.
I have settings of enable, automatically initiate, and require.
When I start gaim, the status is 'not private'.  I then type
something, and hit return, and get "Attempting to start a private
conversation...", then see my message, and "Private conversation with
Bob/foo started."

(There's perhaps a minor bug in that the 'started' line should precede
the message, or else a serious bug that it was sent un-OTRed.)

Bob exits gaim, and that causes me to get a finished notification and
to enter state finished.  This is fine.

Later, Bob logs in again, and I type a line or two, and hit return,
not paying attention to finished.   I'm told that i'm in finished and
my message was not sent, but it's lost and I have to retype after
clicking the otr button to start a new session.

What I'd like is for 'finished', if settings are 'require', to
initiate key exchange and then send the message.  As I see it, not
having key state, and knowing that key state was discarded are more or
less the same, and this doesn't harm the main point of finished which
is to avoid sending cleartext messages that the user expected to be
protected.  Is this reasonable?