[OTR-dev] Libgcrypt slowness in generation of keys

Twan Fox twanfox at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 21:17:54 EDT 2006

Greetings,

I know I've seen this issue around time and again, but after actually
making a run at having libotr actually generate me a key for my Trillian
OTR plugin, I found the whole process took 22 minutes before it finally
returned. Obviously, this is unacceptable. I am currently using the
libgcrypt v1.2.2 (as that is the only one that seems to be well
supported by the Visual Studio .NET environment from s0rr0w") and have
applied the patch as suggested on the main site in order to limit the
heap walking. However, either I applied the patch wrong (since I applied
it by hand, though after checking, I seem to have pegged it in the right
place), or some other fix is needed in order to improve this.

Now, I understand that Gaim happily builds private keys very quickly
with the Gaim OTR plugin. However, I have no idea what libgcrypt version
or patches were applied in order to make it work like it does. I am also
not terribly sure that compiling the libgcrypt library via mingw will
provide me a library capable of being used within Visual Studio, and
unfortunately, I am not presently willing to divert from that compiler
as I need it for the UI functionality it provides for me. I know there
is something out there that is the probable fix, but I can't seem to
locate it again.

Any assistance or information is appreciated.

Thanks,
Twan