[OTR-dev] how to play nice with gaim-otr

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Tue Jun 21 09:50:20 EDT 2005

On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 06:19:59PM -0500, Evan Schoenberg wrote:
> My fault for being unclear.  I meant that there is currently no other
> option for your plugin.  Looking at gtk-gaim 1.3.1, the
> gaim_conversation_new() function necessarily opens a window.  I was
> going to suggest creating the GaimConv* yourself... but the moment
> you call gaim_conversation_new() with the info you've been passed,
> you would trigger that window opening.
>
> So a change needs to be made gaimside; it's not an OTR issue but a
> Gaim issue preventing you from being able to use gaim_conv_send_*()
> and therefore preventing you from routing through gaim-otr your
> plugin's messages which are made before a window is opened.
>
> I'd recommend emailing gaim-devl at lists.sourceforge.net with your
> problem.

In fact, I'd say you don't really *want* a GaimConvIm.  You want a way
to trigger the plugins when you send a message without having to have
one.

You _can_ (uglily) do this now: use serv_send_im(), but before you do,
trigger the plugins yourself by calling

    gaim_signal_emit(gaim_conversations_get_handle(), "sending-im-msg",
	     account, name, &msg);

But I agree there should be a way to do this "in" the gaim core.