[OTR-dev] Multiple Accounts online

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Mon Jun 6 08:52:33 EDT 2005

On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 09:58:30PM -0400, alex323 wrote:
> Heh. I recently discovered that OTR doesn't like it when I am logged in
> once from two different machines. I've read the protocol enough to know
> why :)
>
> Any ideas to support this?

That's a known problem with protocols (like AIM, since they changed its
behaviour) that allow you to log in more than once, and send copies of
your incoming messages to all of your logins.  [Jabber, for example,
doesn't have this problem, since it distinguishes your logins.]

What *should* happen here?  If Alice is logged in multiple times, and
Bob tries to start an OTR conversation with her, all of her clients
will receive the OTR Query message, and will respond with a Key
Exchange.  Bob will then receive multiple Key Exchanges.  What should he
do then?  [It's even worse if Bob is also logged in multiple times!]