[OTR-dev] user has stopped OTR message

Ian Goldberg ian at cypherpunks.ca
Mon Jan 31 12:25:39 EST 2005

On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 08:51:36AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
> How about
>
>   user has discarded OTR keys for this session
>
> But I think this should perhaps be a machine-parseable message within
> a signaling channeel, and the remote UI print this.

OK, I think I've got a proposal for a machine-readable signalling
channel inside the private channel, that also maintains complete
back-compatibility with existing clients.

Have the plaintext in a Data Message be:

 - Human-readable message

optionally followed by:

 - NUL (\x00)
 - Zero or more TLV (type/length/value) records, of the form:
     - Type (SHORT)
     - Length (SHORT)
     - Value (length bytes of data)

Anything you put in the TLV section must be ignorable by clients that
don't understand that TLV type (or don't understand TLVs at all).

It is acceptable for the plaintext message to be empty (that's in fact
what the heartbeat does now).

What do you all think?