[OTR-dev] Secure connections through a connect/disconnect cycle, OTR error messages

Evan Schoenberg evan.s at dreskin.net
Thu Jan 27 18:07:53 EST 2005

On Jan 27, 2005, at 4:51 PM, Ian Goldberg wrote:

> So I'm getting what you're saying.  libotr should, when it receives an
> IM, look at its contents to decide if it's really a "control" message,
> and if so, display it with a new callback instead of returning it.
>
> Is that right?

Precisely. =)

> I'm pretty sure gaim doesn't provide this functionality, because that's
> where I ran into the problem with the heartbeats.  For example, if
> you're talking with someone on AIM who's not in your (server-side)
> buddy
> list, the AIM network won't deliver you "logged out" messages, so you
> have no way of knowing he's gone.  But if you try to send him a
> message,
> you'll get thwacked with an "Undeliverable message" error.

Grrr, I'd forgotten about that annoying AIM bug.  There's some way it
can be done... The official AIM client manages to give
connected/disconnect messages I believe.  I'll check into that...
besides 'stranger' AIM contacts, Gaim could provide what would be
needed.  Come to think of it, though, there's no GaimBuddy* returned by
gaim_find_buddy() for strangers like that; it just returns NULL... so
given username/protocol/account, gaim can reliably tell you either Yes
or Maybe.  And the current behavior could still be done in the Maybe
case.

-Evan